School Zone Publishing
School Zone Publishing develops and publishes educational materials and products based on national educational standards. School Zone strives to create high-quality, affordable products that meet the development needs of children ages pre-school through sixth grade. We have been a leading educational publisher since the early '70’s, and we are seeking an experienced Multimedia Programmer.
Programmer – Multimedia - Summary
Plans, develops, tests, and documents computer programs by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
- Consults with supervisor, other programmers, directors and designers to gather information about program intent, functions, features, data requirements, input requirements, output requirements, internal and external checks and controls, hardware and operating system environment, and interfaces with other systems.
- Researches and resolves unclear missing specifications.
- Provides alternative solutions to time constraining or technically limiting issues.
- Evaluates programs to determine feasibility, cost and time required, compatibility with current system and computer capabilities.
- Creates system architecture and component design for applications.
- Converts software requirements into software design including data structures, algorithms, and program flow.
- Converts designs and specifications into computer code.
- Compiles code into programs and corrects errors detected in compile process.
Software Defect Resolution
- Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revises programs.
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs.
- Creates test transactions and runs tests to find errors and confirm program meets specifications.
- Reviews user and technical documentation written by others to confirm consistency with program operations.
- Coordinates with other programmers about program revisions.
Media Preparation & Creation
- Determines media format needs and coordinates with Technical Specialists.
- Arranges media for application use.
Continuing Education, Research
- Reads manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn ways to develop programs that meet end user requirements.
- Researches multimedia related technologies, trends, and development techniques to improve development efficiency, stability and quality.
- Performs Field studies with end users to study habits, comprehension, acceptance, and evaluation of software.
- Perform software upgrades to operating system and programming tools.
- Modify and maintain software written by others.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Computer & Technology Skills
• Required knowledge of these specific technologies:
- Ability to read and understand C++ code.
• Preferred knowledge of these specific technologies, languages and software:
- Familiarity with Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.
- The Drupal content management system.
- The Subversion version control system.
- The Bugzilla test tracking tool.
- Unity game engine development with C#.
- iPhone development with Objective-C.
- Windows development using Visual C++, STL and Boost.
- Experience working on shipping commercial software.
Language & Communication Skills
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Write simple correspondence.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Job requires interpreting and translating facts and information. Explains situations, issues and research to team members.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline, or combination of two years programming- related experience and non-degree education.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
This job does not require any specific licenses, certificates or registrations.